Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Once "I Am Taken".


Now "I Am Broken".


This mug was given to me by my wifey during my birthday in our first year of marriage. That was in 8 October 2008. After serving me faithfully for close to 6 years, it finally retired from service on 21 September 2014. During this long period of 6 years, this is the only mug that I used day in and day out. Without any shadow of doubt, it has indeed served its purpose.

As I am writing down the eulogy of my mug, I can't help but to relate the life of this mug to our walk with God. We were once "taken" by God and that marked the beginning of our walk with Him as young Christians. At the very beginning of this walk, we tend to come before God in our self-made and self-justified splendour and glory. But as God begins to use us more and more, this self-made and self-justified splendour and glory slowly losses its twinkle and shine. We begin to realise that we were not so righteous and "clean" after all. But the good news is that God continues to use us and call us His own. In fact, He loves this "mug" so much because as this mug began to serve His "favourite coffee" day in and day out, the smell of the coffee started lingering stronger and stronger on this mug.

The more this mug was used, the more it experienced wear and tear until eventually it become broken! Similarly, as God continues to use us and work through us, He allows us to go through trials and tribulation that eventually caused us to become broken. 

A broken spirit and a contrived heart, this He will not despised.

The evidence of God's working in a person's life is the degree of brokenness of his spirit.  Even though my mug is now broken, I have never once despise it. In fact, till now I still love my mug and my mug will always have a special place in my heart as long as I live... Because it had served me well in its lifetime. 



No comments: